Sunday, April 21, 2013

Seasons Come

And seasons go.

Isn't that one of Vermont's specialties?

The snow has left my yard and most of the low level hills that border my home.  Peepers and Wood frogs sing an almost deafening chorus of amphibian lust competing with bird songs and the joyful shouts of little league supporters (heybattabatta) wafting up from Couples Field. The air is almost warm and the sun is doing its best.

An early spring wandering in the forest today rewarded me with the delightful discovery of a favorite wild edible. Last year was our introduction to this native vegetable and I am thrilled to have found a patch so close to home. I select only a handful for supper tonight.

Wild leeks/ramps ~ Allium Tricoccum


Oh summer... the anticipation is something fierce and spring is just what I need to tide me over.

And Spring arose on the garden fair, 
Like the Spirit of Love felt everywhere;
And each flower and herb on Earth’s dark breast
Rose from the dreams of its wintry rest.

~ An excerpt from “The Sensitive Plant” by Percy Bysshe Shelley


Off in search of something good ~ have a happy spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to share? I'd like to hear from you.