Monday, July 25, 2011

Old Mother Hubbard

Went to the cupboard...

Granted my cupboards may not be bare; however, I am out of milk, eggs and butter and it's Monday. Tuesdays are restocking day at the local grocery stores and though they have milk, eggs and butter on the shelves today I'm little bit of a fresh food snob this time of year.

I've an idea; I noticed on facebook Simplicity Farm (also known as the Turner Family Farm) is open during milking time (6-8, am or pm). I will need my own containers and to give a holler in the milking shed to let someone know we are there. Their fb page also mentions they have laying hens; hopefully I can pick up a dozen eggs while I'm there. It's almost 6:00; I'll let you know how it goes.

We find the cows busy at work. Doug and Joe Tuner (father and son) welcome us with a tour of the barn and fill our order of organic milk and eggs to go. Out of 89 registered Holsteins on the farm we were honored to have met the youngest of the herd, 3-day-old little Lipstick-Red, she's adorable.



I'm happy to see you, too.


Yes, all of you.


Almost there.


Fill em up please, Joe




Looks like we are having pancakes (with fresh blueberries) for breakfast, YEA! 
Joe mentioned the cream would rise to the top of the milk overnight; maybe I can cross butter off my list, too.


Visit one of the many family owned farms in the valley, it feels good knowing where your food comes from. The Mad River Valley Localvore Project is an excellent resource for local food products grown and produced right here in our community. 

Eat fresh, eat local, eat well.


*PS

Joe was right.


Who needs pancakes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to share? I'd like to hear from you.